Bees are an important part of the ecosystem, so when you can put the best bee friendly plants and flowers in your garden it is incredibly beneficial. Not only to the immediate environment but to ensure bees are around for a longer period of time. We need them and they need us to know that. In general, there are several different types of plants that will attract pollinators, but the plants that attract butterflies are not always the same ones that attract bees.
With the bee population dwindling, the more plants that you can grow in your garden that will attract them, the better it will be. A garden like the one that you are going to create will give the bees a safe place to live without predators in their wake. Bees need to have flowers that have broad petals that make it easier for them to land on. In addition to the plants, they will also need a place to relax.
In this guide, we are going to discuss some of the best bee-friendly plants that you can put in your garden as well as some of the flowers that a pollinator, more specifically a bee, will favor. There are annuals that you should consider as well as perennials, but a healthy mix of the two will keep the bees around for the entire year.
Some Questions Answered
Why is it Important to Plant The Best Bee Friendly Plants and Flowers?
Bees are very important for the environment, so it is essential to lure these pollinators to your home garden. Having a good population of bees near your home will help to ensure that the nearby fruit options will be pollinated. Annuals and perennials will help you to keep that area pollinated for the entire season, but there are many more benefits to keeping bees around as well. Bees are great when you need to minimize pests in the area like aphids and caterpillars. Even though a flower may look pretty to your eye, it may not be attractive to a bee, so doing some research to plant the most bee-friendly plants can be a great idea.
What Makes a Plant Bee-Friendly?
Bees typically like to pollinate during the months of March through October, so it will be important for you to find a plant that blooms during this period of time. Most bees are attracted to flowers that have blooms that are blue, yellow, or purple in color. Bees will not fly to a red bloom because they cannot see the brightly colored bloom. Shallow cupped flowers tend to be attractive to smaller bees, while deeper options are more of a draw for larger bees.
What You Should Look For in The Best Bee Friendly Plants?
When you are planting a garden for bees, you are going to need to make sure that you include both pollen plants as well as nectar plants. Pollen plants are used to feed the young bees in the nest, while nectar plants are used to feed the adults in the colony. Some plants can provide both, so to keep your bee colony alive, make sure that you have the right types of the best bee friendly plants in your garden.
10 Best Bee Friendly Plants Reviews
This is a nice combination of seeds that are designed to attract pollinators to your garden. When you purchase the two-pound bag, there are 16 different species of flowers that you can plant. 50 percent of them are annuals, and 50 percent of them are perennials, so you will have a great amount of coverage throughout the year. In total, there are 364,000 seeds in the package, which will cover roughly 7,000 square feet. The seeds are packaged in a cotton canvas bag that can be reused
- The seed bag is very pretty, and it can be reused.
- The seeds are great for attracting pollinators.
- The 50/50 mix of annuals and perennials make a lovely combination of plants.
- Not all of the flowers in the pack seem to bloom.
- Since the seeds are relatively small, it is easy to overseed an area.
This set of seed is a combination that is designed specifically to bring bees to your garden. It is a mix that contains over 18 different types of wildflowers and over 3,000 seeds. These seeds do not require special care to grow, but they are high-quality seeds that will give you the option to grow them in any location across the country. Many of the flowers that come in this set are orange or yellow in color, which is typically a trait that will attract bees to your outside space.
- This is a good combination of wildflowers that will cover quite a large space.
- There 18 different species of plants that come with this set are ideal for attracting bees.
- These seeds are relatively simple to grow.
- The seed pack does not tell you the exact types of wildflowers that are available in the package.
If you are living in zones five through nine, then this is a great option to bring some bees to your outdoor space. The dark purple flowers that grow on these plants are great when it comes to attracting bees and butterflies to your garden. These plants will grow to be about 20 to 28 inches tall, and they are fragrant flowers that will be rabbit- and deer-resistant as well, which will help to protect them from harm as they grow.
- These plants are relatively simple to grow.
- These hardy plants can handle almost any growing conditions.
- The lavender color and the scent of this plant is ideal for attracting bees and other pollinators.
- This is a pack of plant seed that will only produce one type of plant, so if you are looking for a variety, you may not get what you want.
This is a combination that includes several rare wildflowers that you can easily grow in your outdoor space. The pack includes a number of different perennial and annual plant options that will give you a lovely spread of plants. It also includes a wide selection of grasses and nectar plants that will attract the pollinators that you are looking to bring to your garden. These flowers will not require a lot of care to grow, but they will need to have several hours of sunshine each day to thrive.
- This is a very colorful pack of wildflowers that will be quite effective at bringing bees to your garden.
- It is a lovely mix of annuals and perennials, so you will be able to have a good spread growing all year.
- These plants typically can do well in a shady location, but it will do best with a few hours of full sun a day.
- These are hardy seeds, but they may not grow in an area of the country where the temperature drops too much.
If you are looking to bring the bees to your garden and increase the number of productive fruit trees that you have in your area, this is a great option to consider. It contains a full 20 varieties of different flowers that bees will love, and this packet of seeds can easily cover about 35 square feet of land. It is a healthy mix of perennials and annuals, and the average germination of these plants tends to be about 85 percent.
- The colors and the shapes of these flowers vary quite a bit.
- The combination of annuals and perennials will create a spread that will give you flowers at all times during the year.
- This is a mix that is designed to specifically bring bees to your garden.
- This is a very small pack of seeds, so you may have to purchase multiple to get the spread that you are looking for.
This is a pack of hardy perennials that will be very effective at attracting bees to your outdoor garden. It will also be very effective when it comes to attracting other pollinators. In this pack, you will find about 30 seeds, which will cover a good bit of area without much effort. These seeds are designed to be extremely simple to grow, and they will thrive in nearly any type of weather. These blooms have a burnt red coloration that will look great in any garden.
- The coloration of the blooms is great for attracting bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.
- These are very easy to grow plants that will be hardy enough to survive even the coldest temperatures.
- This is a set that contains a few different perennial options, so you will have flowers growing all of the time.
- There are only about 30 seeds in each pack, so you may need to purchase multiple when you are planting them.
If you are looking for a good mix of smaller flowers to attract bees to your garden, then this pack is a great option to consider. It has 20 different varieties that you can plant, and all of the seeds that are included in this pack are easy to grow. They can easily thrive in any type of weather, and even though they are designed to attract bees, they will attract other pollinators as well.
- This is a set of smaller flowers that have colorful blooms that will attract pollinators with ease.
- These seeds are very easy to care for and grow, which means that you will not need to do much to maintain them.
- This mix of perennials is ideal for increasing the number of plants that can be seen throughout the year.
- This packet of seeds only comes with a total mix of about 20 different plants.
This next set of seeds that we are going to look at is a great option for bringing the honey bees to your garden as well as the butterflies. This is a mix of three flowers that bloom during each season of the year, and there are even about two additional flowers that you will find. The perennials in the mix are capable of creating both pollen and nectar plants, and one bag of these seeds should give you enough to cover at least 1,000 square feet of space.
- This is a great mix of plants that will give you the seeds to have plants blooming each season during the year.
- The small bag of seeds can cover quite a bit of space.
- This is a mixture that is great for bringing pollinators to your garden.
- This is not a very large bag, so if you need more space to be covered, you may need to purchase more than one bag.
If you are looking for a specific type of flower to bring bees to your garden, then this is an option that will give you only phacelia seeds instead of a mix of several different options. These are plants that produce lavender blooms, so they will be great at bringing the bees to your outdoor space. This is a plant that is easy to grow, so you will not need to do a lot to maintain the plant, no matter where you live. The seeds are high-quality options that will grow well in any condition.
- The soft lavender coloration of this flower’s blooms is a great option for any garden.
- These plants are great for bringing bees to your garden.
- This is not a mixture of flowers, so if you want more than one type of flower in your garden, you will need to plant another type as well.
The final mixture that we are going to look at is a great option for bringing bees to your garden. It contains 19 different varieties of wildflowers that will look great in any outdoor space, and it contains both annuals and perennials so that you can have a great spread all year long. In total, this packet contains over 6,000 seeds, so you will be able to cover at least 10 square feet of space.
- This is a seed mixture that has a high germination rate.
- There is a good mixture of annuals and perennials in the package.
- This is a mixture that is designed to bring bees to your garden; however, it is not the largest packet, so multiple may be required.