Welcome to the world of home blood pressure monitoring. Many people monitor their own blood pressure these days, from athletes to recovering patients to people with health considerations. Happily, these days you do not have to purchase the large, heavy and difficult to read sphyagmomninometer you see in every doctor’s office. You have a wide range of choices, prices and sizes from which to select a model that works for you.
Consider Your Needs When It Comes To Buying The Best Blood Pressure Monitor
Everyone wants accuracy in their blood pressure reading, but in addition to accuracy, what do you need?
Ease of Placement: As you know from your own experience, most often blood pressure is measured from your upper arm. Conditions that may render upper arm reading machines undesirable include: inability to reach the target location, if the area is otherwise wrapped or casted, or if you do not have the flexibility to reach the opposite upper arm, so a wrist monitor might be a better match for you.
A monitor that has a display so small that you can’t see the results is not helpful. There are monitors that feature large, clear displays, that orally recite your results and that transfer the data right to your computer so you don’t have to read the monitor but can read the computer.
You’re not going to be playing catch with this machine, but it has to be able to take the occasional drop or splash of water.
None of us have enough storage space so we need machines that consume as little space as possible.
You need to know the size of the upper arm fro which the pressure is measured. Some people have larger than average upper arms and the pressure cuff doesn’t fit. If the cuff is too tight, you won’t get an accurate reading.
What functionality do you need? There are models on the market that do everything but tuck you in at night but you have to pay for all those functions. Most people can profit from a monitor that sends the data to a computer or smart phone for tracking and analysis.
Ease of Use:
You don’t want to have to push fifteen buttons to get your reading and you want those buttons easy to find and easy to press.
Most of our models are sturdy so you won’t have to replace them often, but no one wants to spend money unnecessarily.
So here’s what we think are the best blood pressure monitors on the market today!
Reviewers love the Omron 10 Series Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor. This is the only offering in the very popular 10 Series with Bluetooth compatibility though the entire 10 series is very well-reviewed and popular. featuring:
- Bluetooth Compatibility: For iOS and Android apps.
- Single-button reading
- Expandable cuff: Medium to large arms.
- Color Indicators: Indicate if your readings are in the normal range or outside.
- Easy Cuff: Easy for a single person to wrap. self-inflating.
- 3 Readings: Automatically takes 3 readings consecutively one minute apart and displays the average.
- Display: Large; easy to read display.
- 2 Users: Stores data easily for 2 users.
- Reading Storage: Stores 200 readings for each of two users.
- Power: AC Adapter (included)/AA batteries.
- Calibration Check: Automatically double checks each reading to ensure accuracy.
Also excellent, the UA-789 is designed to fit larger arms (16-1/2 to 23-3/5 inches around) so it’s great for muscular builds, athletes, people who carry more inches in their upper arms for any reason.
Features our reviewers like include:
- Fit: Includes the large cuff but also operates with the smaller Lifesource cuffs
- Single-button operation; large display.
- Accurate: Comparable to traditional sphyagmomninometer within the American Natrional Standards Institute.
- Storage: Up to 60 readings.
- Illuminated start button.
- Detects Irregular heartbeats
- Inflation: Detects correct inflation.
- Power: AC adapter included/battery operated (batteries not included).
- Carrying case: Included.
Very consistent readings, comfortable cuff and reliability are among the features our reviewers love about this monitor. Other features include:
Measure While Inflate: Rather than waiting until fully inflated, this unit evaluates while inflating to determine correct inflation level for an accurate reading; it automatically aborts the reading if it detects something wrong. This eliminates many of the erroneous readings that can become part of your statistics which can mislead you and your medical professional.
2 Users: Enables tracking of two individuals and stores the same amount of history data for each.
Improved Accuracy: A double pulse algorithm enhances the pulse wave detection for improved accuracy.
- Single button activation.
- Automatic Inflation reduces reading time.
- Automatic arrhythmia detection; indicates with clear graphic.
- Push-button access to blood pressure readings including date and time.
- Blue LCD Backlight display: easy to see and read.
- Storage: 120 readings: 60 for each user.
- Power: 4 AAA batteries (no AC adapter included.)
- Includes carrying bag and 5 year warranty.
- Commonly used by professionals.
- Single Touch operation.
- Flash Alert: Automatically flashes reading above 139 Systolic or 89 Diastolic for easy notification.
- Storage: 90 readings.
- LCD: Large characters; easy to read.
- Accuracy: Includes technology that isolates and detects pulse oscillation, eliminating noise that can cause inaccurate measurements.
- Autoinflation, comfort cuff.
- Power: 4 AA batteries included; may order AC adapter separately.
- Carrying pouch included.
- Available extra large cuff can be ordered separately.
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor for Apple and Android
The Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor is a step back into the very high tech world. Designed to work with Apple and Android devices, this unit is very easy to use, has no limit to the amount of data you can store, and enables you to instantly share the data; this is a great benefit in emergency situations as it displays to your doctor the key information about your condition as it happens.
The features include:
Requires App: To use this device, you download the app appropriate to your device (Apple or Android) to your phone or device; this is mandatory; the monitor does not function without app access. Health Tracking with App: The app does much more than simply record your blood pressure data; it can be easily customized to remind you of your next reading, to give health tips and insights including assistance with weight management, improved activity level, and superior sleep quality, among many others.
Compatibility: The Health App is compatible with many other health and fitness apps enabling complete integration of your health tracking.
Wireless: Start the app, place the cuff on your upper arm, press start and wait for the results. No bulky wires or tubes to manage.
Readings Comparison: Automatically compares your readings with World Health Organization standards.
Supports multiple users. Easy to share data with family and medical professionals.
This budget offering is accurate and reliable. The default power setting is batteries though you may order an AC adapter to go with it.
An unusual feature of this monitor is having the option of ordering the cuff to your arm needs. This is convenient. Many cuffs are small enough for almost any average-sized adult, but the difficulty generally happens when trying to fit larger upper arms; this option should eliminate that issue.
With the LotFancy, you can track 4 different users; the memory stores 30 readings for each. It can display the average of your last 3 readings as desired. The LCD display is large and easy to read.
For those of you who are Apple addicts, this monitor is compatible with Apple products only; no Android allowed. Its features include:
Health Manager: Much more than a blood pressure monitor, this unit integrates with your Apple apps to form a cohesive health and fitness tracking package; taking accurate, reliable blood pressure readings is simply the icing on the cake.
Beauty Winner: If appearance is at all important to you, this is your monitor. Its lovely lines and compact engineering make this the most attractive device on our list. It incorporates the Apple traditional white with curved apparatus for a unusually lovely device.
Statistics: With simple instructions incorporating this monitor into your health and maintenance system you can created graphs of you data in many more categories than we can list here. This is an addition to your Apple collection that provides essential information for understanding your health.
For many reasons, there are people who need or want to monitor their blood pressure but taking it from the upper arm is not an option. Though the upper arm reading is considered more accurate, you have many parts of the body from which to take the reading and probably the second most convenient is the wrist. Omron produces very accurate devices for this purpose and we suggest both a wireless and wired model here.
Some features of the wireless model are:
Manufacturer: Produced by Omron, makers of blood pressure monitors for over 40 years and creators of some of the most accurate and best selling monitors on the market.
Storage: Track and manage up to 100 readings on the monitor and unlimited readings on your smart device using the compatible apps for Apple and Android.
Validated accurate as upper arm measurement.
Automatic inflation; indicator lights enable easy positioning of wrist for best results.
Silent: Take blood pressure anywhere without arousing attention.
Comparison to standards: easy to read bar indicates your reading in comparison to the standard readings.
Compact: Travel with it anywhere without bulky bags or instruments.
Tracks pulse as well.
Enables dual tracking of blood pressure and pulse.
Many more features as a result of the compatibility with your device for graphing, displaying data, comparing data and much more.
This has basically the same features as the Wireless version, but it is not wireless, including:
– Single button activation/deactivation.
– Validated accurate as upper arm monitor.
– Ensures accuracy by only activating the monitor when your wrist is in the correct position.
– Irregular heart beat indicator.
– Storage: 100 reading storage with date and time stamp.
– Quite and subtle.
An excellent blood pressure monitor, this HealthSmart talks; a remedy for people with vision challenges. Features include:
Audio readings in English or Spanish.
Display: Very large with backlighting
2 User Support: Can record readings for two different users.
Irregular heart beat indicator.
Storage: 120 readings between two users.
5 inches; Convenient for local and long distance travel.