Choosing a present or toy foe 11-year-old girls can be a daunting task. As a transitional age between childhood and adolescence, gift and toy categories often overlap and may seem unclear. Since they are not “little kids” anymore but not quite teenagers yet, it is natural to feel frustration about what to buy for people in this age group. Fortunately, there are gift that help tweens navigate this period with finesse and fun. A look at the best gifts and toys for this age will help you make an informed decision for your tween.
Guide to the Best Gifts and Toys for 11-Year-Old Girls
The key to picking the best gift or toy for 11-year-old girls is to select a present that supports their rapidly changing interests. Since these girls are at the brink of puberty or currently undergoing these changes, they typically relate to toys that reflect the rapid changes occurring in their minds and bodies.
Physical Changes: At this stage, a girl’s balance continues to develop to accommodate the hormonal changes that will soon occur. Eyes may become sharper as they reach peak maturity, and individuals at this age develop great dexterity with their hands.
Emotional Changes: At this age, pre-teens typically gain a sharp independence streak. They are more likely to challenge authority, interact with strangers, and may even seem confrontational as they attempt to assert themselves to adults. Perhaps more than any other group, this age group may also demonstrate extreme loyalty to friends and strong desire to participate in peer-group activities.
Cognitive Changes: At this point, girls typically begin to choose friends based on common interests. They possess a more solid idea about their favorite hobbies and an increased attention span to participate in these activities.
Advice for Choosing the Best Gifts and Toys for 11-Year-Old Girls
The best presents for 11-year-old girls are hands-on gifts and toys that help pre-teens explore their newfound independence and creativity. You will find that many of these gifts feature “do it yourself” (DIY) features and personalization options. Since girls experience increased body awareness at this age, activities ranging from making jewelry to painting can match their growth levels. Age-appropriate books, journals, and supplies can foster their creative minds while serving as an important distinction from elementary school activities. And of course, a child this age would be thrilled to have access to the latest handheld technology.
Why You Need Specifically Targeted Gifts and Toys for 11-Year-Old Girls
Tweens in this age group are typically in the transitional period between elementary school and middle school or junior high school. In this stage, these tweens respond to gifts that mark this rite of passage and make them feel more “grown up.” However, tween toys still need to be age-appropriate enough to nurture their growing life skills. The best gifts and toys address these changes. For example, tween journals and notebooks often feature bold, vivid, and expressive colors (instead of pastels for younger children). Individuals in this age often readily accept paint kits and electronics (rather than dolls or crayons).
What to Expect From the Best Gifts and Toys for 11-Year-Old Girls
The best gifts and toys for 11-year-old girls tend to be trend and give tweens the opportunity to work in groups or independently. Since pre-teens learn to hone their creative expression at this age, the best toys provide a physical and emotional outlet for this period of development. In addition, these gifts and toys often have teachable traits to help tweens navigate the world of middle school.
Top Ten Best Gifts and Toys for 11-Year-Old Girls – Reviewed
Benefits: Help your pre-teen foster her creativity with this ALEX Toys DIY charm bracelet. The set comes with 24 beads and 8 custom charms, and it offers enough supplies for a tween to make a bracelet for herself and a matching one for her friend. She can work on the project independently or save it for a fun sleepover activity. This charm bracelet can help bolster your child’s creativity and help her solidify friendships at this crucial age. The bracelet kit can also introduce her to grooming, styling, and accessorizing (a hobby that she may end up taking seriously as she gets older).
- Includes 24 beads along with charms, stick stones, and other supplies
- Charm themes include horses, keys, instruments, horseshoe, flowers, hearts, and other tween interests
- Enough supplies to make a self-bracelet along with a bracelet for a friend
- Supplies compatible with bead refills from craft stores
- Small pieces may be tedious to work with for some users
- Absence of a stopper bead means that the user will need to transfer the beads to another container after opening
- Adhesive clay may take up to 4 hours to dry
- Hardness of metal beads may require adult strength to help
Benefits: Encourage your pre-teen’s interest in grooming with this Klutz Nail Style Studio Book Kit. This kit gives tweens a full manicure experience even if they are not ready to visit the nail salon or spa. In addition, the kit features up to 25 age-appropriate nail designs. The kit also comes with an instruction manual and numerous color options.
- DIY professional manicure or pedicure
- Creates up to 25 different nail designs
- Includes 6 polishes, a 60-page instruction manual, a dotting tool, and over 250 design stencils
- Nail polish is “peel-off” for easy removal; kit does not require messy nail-polish remover
- Some individuals find it disappointing that this kit does not include false nails or press-on nails
- Manicure may not last as long as a conventional nail polish with overcoat
Benefits: Give your pre-teen an opportunity to express herself with this Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set. Rather than buying just another set of crayons, this complete set supplies tweens with oil pastels, watercolors, colored pencils, and paintbrushes. The set also comes with a carrying case that is great for school projects or sleepovers. It is a great way to introduce a pre-teen to art before it is time to choose electives in later years.
- Includes 4 color pencils, 24 oil pastels, and 24 watercolors
- The set also includes a full range of supplies such as paint brushes, drawing pencils, a pencil sharpener and eraser, and sanding blocks
- Set includes a portable storage case with secure snap-shut handle
- Small pieces may be a hassle to keep up with over time
- The paints and watercolors are not washable (you may need to invest in an art apron)
Benefits: Satisfy your tween’s sweet tooth with this Nostalgia Gummy Candy Maker. Most tweens will embrace the opportunity to make their own candy from scratch, and kit ensures that kids can make unique snacks without the excess preservatives found in store-bought candy. Simply heat gelatin and pour it into the silicone mold-casts for homemade candy. The kit includes a recipe booklet and options for gummy bears, gummy worms, and gummy fish. Whether you are planning a sleepover or a fun indoor craft day, this gummy candy kit makes an exciting gift.
- Includes silicone molds, a ceramic pot for gelatin, and a spout for easy pouring
- Shape options include gummy bears, gummy fish, and gummy worms
- Includes a recipe book
- Gelatin sold separately
- Using the ceramic pot to heat gelatin may be time-consuming
Benefits: Let your child weave their own bracelets with this Loopdedoo Spinning Loom Friendship Kit. Like the fairy tale characters Rumpelstiltskin or Penelope, this loom tool helps kids spin or embroider their own masterpieces (but with even better intentions). Since this is the age that girls both enjoy bracelets and establish long-term friendships, they can use this easy kit to make simple bracelets, necklaces, or hair ties to bond with their friends.
- Includes spinning loom, skeins, and embroidery thread
- No batteries required
- Spins designs within minutes
- Makes bracelets, shoelaces, necklaces, ankles, hair ties, or belts
- Fairly noisy
- Directions may be unclear for those who have not used a loom before
Benefits: Empower your pre-teen with a brand-new drone. In the age of YouTube, your tween has more than likely seen drone technology in action in her favorite videos. This drone allows her to navigate the neighborhood while capturing pictures and video. It includes 6-axis gyro stability for 360-degree and panoramic views. The drone also captures high-quality aerial photos that she can keep for years to come.
- Axis technology captures 360-degree videos
- Headless mode with a low-voltage alarm makes the drone low maintenance
- High-definition camera included
- Does not connect with smartphones
- No “live video” or “real time” options
Benefits: Help your tween navigate the world of junior high school with Dork Diaries series. This New York Timesbestselling series follows the life of Nikki Maxwell as she writes about the drama of middle school, including crushes, clubs, frenemies. The series is a relevant companion for girls adapting to an older school environment.
- Uses doodles, drawings, and comic strips to illustrate important lessons
- Features a charismatic character with whom girls can relate
- Some readers consider this version unnecessarily shorter than other books in the series
Benefits: Assist your tween in documenting memories with this Fujifilm camera. Although some people merely rely on their smartphones, there is something special about having a point-and-shoot camera devoted entirely to this purpose. This camera includes a macro lens adapter for closeups, a selfie lens, and a high-key mode for portraits and landscapes.
- Lets pre-teen experience using a traditional camera with modern updates
- Includes several lens settings and modes
- Prints photos directly from the camera
- Non-rechargeable (requires AA batteries)
Benefits: Encourage your pre-teen’s interest in baking with this Babycakes Cake Pop Maker. Although not quite ready to use a conventional oven for major projects, an 11-year-old car has certainly outgrown the EasyBake oven. The Babycakes tool is a super-fun alternative. It bakes 12 cake pops or doughnut holes within a few minutes using non-stick interior plates. Since it does not require baking trays or cupcake liners, cleanup is pretty simple. This cake maker is an excellent sleepover idea and a great way to transition to more serious baking.
- Bakes 12 treats in a short amount of time
- No cupcake liners needed
- Includes recipe book, cake pop sticks, tongs, and a display stand
- Interior plates are not removeable
- Not ideal for very large groups
Benefits: No list would be complete without the best option for a new tablet. This high-definition tablet features a kid-proof case that allows your tween to carry it almost anywhere. Inside, the tablet provides access to hundreds of Amazon games and apps. It also includes a free one-year trial FreeTime Unlimited. If you are concerned about online safety, this tablet also includes outstanding parental controls and a full-fledged parental dashboard to monitor your pre-teen’s activities on the device.
- Kid-proof case
- High-definition screen
- Includes parental control dashboard
- Free trial of FreeTime Unlimited unlocks access to 15,000 games, apps, and videos
- Incompatible with most Google services
- No access to FreeTime Unlimited when the device is offline
- Does not permit free downloads from Amazon Prime