Posture refers to the relationship between your spinal alignment and the line of gravity. Good posture (also known as a “neutral spine”) means that all of the 33 vertebrae in your spine appear vertical and upright as nature intended. This also means that the four sections of your spine (cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and pelvic) are in alignment without hunching or slouching. Good posture can give you a more attractive and confident appearance. Even more seriously, bad posture can lead to back problems, shoulder cuff rotator problems, and even neck injuries and tension headaches. Unfortunately, everyday activities like sitting at the computer or even driving can alter the line of your posture. Purchasing the best posture corrector may help you readjust your spine to its natural state.
Guide To The Best Posture Correctors
Many people recall parents and teachers admonishing them for slouching. However, good posture is not just about good manners. Instead, it is about maintaining proper alignment for the health of your skeletal structure and spine. Modern lifestyle habits such as sedentary office work, driving, or
constant use of recreational technology (video games, smartphones) can unconsciously reinforce poor posture habits. Posture correctors may help by constraining the upper body into an upright position.
Advice for Choosing The Best Posture Corrector
Important factors to consider when choosing a posture corrector include the following:
Design: Traditionally, posture correctors featured a standard backpack design. While familiarity makes wearing this “knapsack” design fairly intuitive, many of these correctors had the disadvantage of feeling cumbersome. Fortunately, new innovations in technology have enabled options beyond the traditional backpack design. The most popular new designs include figure-eight style that fit beneath clothing, clavicle brace design that support the collarbone, and vest style trainers typically worn over clothing at home for full upper-body correction.
Fit: A posture corrector should fit snugly without feeling overly tight. Does the posture corrector fit across the chest, shoulders, or back? Is it “one size fits all,” or is the posture corrector specifically for petite or large individuals? Does the corrector close with buckles or Velcro straps? Covering the bases can help you pick the best-fitting posture corrector for your needs.
Material: When choosing a posture corrector, you should consider material that matches your lifestyle. For example, people with an active lifestyle may need a breathable corrector that is also flexible and sweat-resistant. Popular materials for posture correctors include neoprene, cotton, or spandex.
Directions: Posture correctors typically have unique directions. The two most important directions are 1) how long you should wear the posture corrector and 2) whether you can wear it beneath clothing. For example, some posture correctors recommend all-day wear for best results, while other posture correctors are “trainers” that you should wear for two hours maximum. Some posture correctors fit easily under clothing, while others require at-home use only. Reviewing the directions before buying can increase your likelihood of satisfaction with the product.
Why You Need a Posture Corrector
Habitual slouching or hunching can lead to postural defect or dysfunction. This irregular curvature of the spine can create a myriad of health problems. For example, research has shown that people with poor posture are 10 times more likely to complain of fatigue and depression. This is because bad posture can force the lungs into an unnatural position and prevent sufficient oxygen from reaching all parts of the body. Poor posture can also put unnecessary pressure on the chest cavity, sternum, diaphragm, and even kidneys and adrenals.
Other health problems associated with poor posture included the following:
- Back, spinal, and neck pain
- Nerve damage
- Tight muscles
- Joint strain
- Muscle spasms
- Increased likelihood of sports injury
Fortunately, even if you are researching posture correctors “after the fact” and you have already developed a neck hump (known colloquially as “nerd neck”), a posture corrector combined with exercise may help you reverse this condition. Posture correctors can also benefit you cosmetically as well. People with better posture can appear taller and look better in photos.
What to Expect From the Best Posture Corrector
In addition to design and fitment, you should also familiarize yourself with terminology from the best posture corrector companies. For example, some brands refer to posture correctors as clavicle braces. When a company uses the term “clavicle brace,” it usually means the corrector holds the collarbone upright. Similarly, some brands specifically sell posture trainers designed to build muscle memory and improve overall carriage. In addition to the posture corrector, you may see brands offer bonus accessories such as resistance bands, carrying cases, or instruction manuals or DVDs.
Top Ten Best Posture Corrector Reviews
Benefits: The Evoke Pro Posture Corrector is a lightweight brace designed to help you avoid slouching. It features a slim design that you can wear with any garments, and its adjustable Velcro straps enable free movement during daily activities. Because it wraps around the shoulders instead of the chest, this posture corrector is not as noticeable under formal clothes. In addition, the design does not obstruct brassieres or other undergarments. Because it supports the shoulders and upper back, posture corrector is ideal for those dealing with rotator cuff or deltoid muscle problems.
- Lightweight, ergonomic design that fits under your clothing
- Evoke Pro Posture Correctors include resistance band and training exercises
- Designed for individuals with upper back or shoulder pain
- May be worn all day
- Not suitable for people who are allergic to neoprene rubber fabric
Benefits: The PLYO TEC Posture Corrector features an ergonomic design created to help improve misaligned spine. Constructed with the help of physicians and back specialists, this flexible brace trainer fits both under and over clothing. It has adjustable straps you can fit around your shoulders and across your back, and its unisex layout makes this posture corrector suitable for both men and women.
- Back trainer designed to help correct misaligned spines
- May be worn beneath or over clothing
- Unisex design customizable for both men and women
- Odor and sweat resistant
- Machine washable
- Not suitable for people who are allergic to neoprene rubber fabric
- Straps may be very difficult to adjust on individuals with petite frames
Benefits: As the name implies, Fitophoria is a posture corrector designed to conform to your body shape. Due to its highly adjustable design, this posture corrector is a top choice for use on children as well as adults. It includes adjustable buckles, firm Velcro straps, and stretchable fabric. You can use this sturdy brace for early childhood posture correction as well as adult back pain. Designed to realign vertebrae in people of all ages, this brace also features a padded back stabilizer strap.
- Unisex posture corrector for children and adults
- Conforms to body shape
- Padded back stabilizer for spinal realignment
- Includes adjustable buckles and straps
- Does not fit under clothing
- Insufficient padding to wear all day
Benefits: Named after the yoga pose for posture and alignment, Vriksasana Posture Corrector has been crafted to help you stand tall and proud like a tree. This brace wraps around your chest and upper middle back to improve poise and help facilitate balance in walking or sitting. Just like the Vriksasana yoga pose, the Vriksasana Posture Corrector aims to realign the thoracic spine without interfering with your range of motion. Due to its high-back design, this brace may also provide clavicle support. The Vriksasana fits invisibly under clothing, and it is safe enough to use on teenagers as well as adults.
- Designed to realign thoracic spine and stabilize the clavicle
- Ergonomic figure-eight shape that fits discreetly under clothing
- Lightweight, adjustable brace works on teenagers and adults
- Unisex structure works across the chests of both men and women
- Some individuals have noted that the material can emit a strong odor when used for extensive periods of time
Benefits: If you are looking for a brace to tackle a sedentary lifestyle, the MARAKYM brand has designed this posture corrector specifically for you. It features thick padded straps structured to improve alignment and stability. You can wear this brace either underneath or over clothing to give yourself a more natural posture while working or sitting. This brand also includes detachable armpit pads, kinesiology tape, and a portable carry bag so you can take the posture corrector with you wherever you go.
- Features thick padded straps and multiple adjustable points for a snug fit
- May be worn underneath or on top of clothing
- Includes detachable armpit pads and kinesiology tape to counteract a sedentary lifestyle
- Can be worn all day and stays put during athletic activities
- Portable carrying bag enables you to take this brace wherever you go
- May be too snug for people with large frames
- Some individuals have noted a “learning curve” for adjusting the brace without assistance
Benefits: Those interested in a brace that can fit all shapes and sizes need look no further than the Leramed Posture Corrector. This brace features wide, adjustable shoulder straps designed to fit snugly on individuals of all ages. This brace doubles as a trainer and clavicle stabilizer – simply wear it for 20 minutes a day, and then remove it for work or play as usual. The idea is that this brace helps develop muscle memory so that your back stays straight even when you stop wearing the device.
- Designed for individuals of all shapes, sizes, and ages
- Thick, adjustable straps to help straighten shoulders and back
- Intended to build muscle memory to encourage upright back posture at all times
- Doubles as a training device (training takes only 20 minutes per day)
- Thick shoulder straps show up through clothing (not designed to wear underneath clothes)
- May be difficult to adjust without assistance
Benefits: The Andego Back Posture Corrector features a conventional backpack design streamlined to reduce the traditional bulkiness. It features lower straps just below the shoulder blade along cushioning pads that enable you to wear it all day. You can adjust this brace in the back and also along the sides to ensure a secure fit. Even though this brace has the standard backpack design, it is thin enough to fit under clothing. No matter your activities or plans, you can wear this unisex trainer everyday to gradually improve your posture and carriage.
- Includes convenient rear adjustment strap, side straps, and cushion pads
- Conventional backpack design that you can still wear under clothing (or over clothing if you prefer)
- Suitable for all day, everyday use
- Latex-free design
- Shoulder straps sometimes slip free during continuous wear
- May rub into skin depending on tightness of straps
Benefits: As the name suggests, GlamyKings Posture Corrector offers a deluxe and glamorous approach to improving your poise and balance. This brace features an extra-long back strap for a custom fit, but it still fits under clothing for convenient use. Its longer design makes it adaptable to a variety of uses (such as nursing a sports injury or overcoming a dowager hump). The brace includes detachable pads, a stretching band, and a perforated frame for breathable comfort. You can adjust the straps both horizontally and vertically to accommodate all-day wear, and the brace comes with an eBook to consult for additional posture tips.
- Extra-long back strap to adjust height as needed
- Deluxe brace includes detachable straps with a stretching band to relieve tension
- Perforation along the frame allows your skin to breathe
- Horizontal and vertical straps help you fit brace under clothing as needed
- Posture brace package includes eBook for additional tips on poise, confidence, and office productivity
- May not fit users with larger body frames
- Back strap may require more than one person to adjust properly
Benefits: If you need a hypoallergenic brace that you can wear for extended periods of time, then the VIBO Care Posture Corrector is the choice for you. It is made of a spongy material that lacks the chemical odor or “rubbery” feel of other popular brands. Originally designed for individuals with scoliosis and kyphosis, this posture corrector does not obstruct movement in the extremities. With its reinforced figure-eight shape and smooth edges, you can wear this brace closely against your body under clothing without irritation. The VIBO Care brace also comes with a resistance band and carrying bag to conveniently match your lifestyle.
- Made of soft, spongy, hypoallergenic material (no chemical smell)
- Suitable for daily use
- Resistance (yoga) belt and carrying bag included
- Originally designed for individuals with curved back
- Reinforced figure-eight design supports clavicle and thorax without restricting movement
- May not fit users with larger body frames
- Some individuals experience underarm discomfort
Benefits: Babo Care Posture Corrector is a support brace designed to retrain musculature so that the back and shoulders maintain an upright position. This brace is not for people who prefer to wear a posture correct all day. Instead, it functions more like a treatment program – users wear the support brace for a period of two hours each day in order to reprogram muscle memory. With its upper back, figure-eight design, this posture corrector adjusts easily to fit both men and women of average height.
- Back and shoulder retraining program
- Does not require all-day wear (simply use the trainer for two hours daily)
- Snug figure-eight, upper back design with adjustable straps for a custom fit
- May not fit individuals with larger chest circumferences
- Straps for this model tend to be thinner than other brands