When you need to tighten a bolt to a machined level of tension, there is no better tool for your toolbox than a good socket wrench set. Having said that, finding the best socket wrench set takes a bit of work, but once you do find a good set, it will last you for years and get you through a lot of pinches. To make your search easier, in this guide, we’re going to show you 10 of the best socket set products on the market. We’re also going to give you a buyer’s guide to help you make a smart purchase.
Best Socket Set Buyer’s Guide
Why Would You Want or Need in a Socket Set?
As a general rule, a good socket set can be used to tighten or loosen machined bolts. Not only is this useful around the house, but many of the components in our cars and trucks have been tensioned, so you’ll need a socket set. These sets are all so much easier to use in a standard wrench set. Also, you’ll find that you can get a lot better angles when you’re working with a socket wrench. Finally, these socket wrench sets are much less likely to damage the bolts and other forms of wrenches.
What Kinds of Features Should You Expect to Look Out for in a Socket Set?
If you want a secure grip, you are better off purchasing a socket set with a six-point design rather than a 12-point design. This is due to the fact that six-point wrenches have thicker walls, which means that the experience is much more durable and reliable. Additionally, an excellent six-point wrench is going to provide a more stable grip so that you can remove the bolt with much less effort. In addition to all of this, these sockets have a higher level of universal compatibility with most bolts and fasteners.
Best Practices for Upkeep
One of the first considerations that you should make when you’re trying to upkeep your socket set is where you have it stored. Since, in most cases, moisture is the enemy of a good socket set thanks to rust, it’s a good idea to store them in a place without a lot of ambient humidity. A really good tool chest is the best option. If storing it in a basement, it’s a good idea to store your set on a pegboard so that moisture doesn’t quickly form. Also, a good dehumidifier will keep your tools nice and dry.
The Tacklife Deep Impact Socket Set is a must have for those jobs that require a bit of depth. The long socket heads provide that extra reach and support for handling those awkward nuts and bolts. The contact area between socket and fastener has also been well designed, offering 6 points of contact. By design, these sockets should suffer less wear and provide a very durable solution for multiple situations. It’s a great set for the very affordable price, and comes with a 24 month warranty from Tacklife. For a good all rounder socket set, that is affordable, functional for most jobs and long lasting, this may be the best socket set for you!
Best Socket Set Reviews
The first product in our guide comes to us from Neico. This 13 piece metric set is designed to provide a good amount of torque strength and a high level of durability. The company is also provided a very durable blue colored organize storage case that will protect your tools from the elements. The sockets themselves are crafted of chrome vanadium and have a high level of corrosion resistance.
The machined bits have chamfered ends that make it very easy to attach. Also, the material construction of these is very high-quality and has a mirror-like chrome finish that is very attractive.
- The company will replace the bits if they’re damaged.
- The chamfered ends make this product very easy to put together.
- These are very durable tools.
- When it comes to working with highly torqued bolts, the bits can slip sometimes.
This Great Neck drive socket set includes both metric- and English-size sockets. The set’s tools include a ⅜-inch reversible ratchet as well as several ¼-inch and 3/8th-inch drive sockets. In fact, there’s even an extender that you can use to turn those hard-to-reach bolts. The case that these sockets rest in is crafted out of molded plastic, which is durable and should last you for many years.
Each component of the drive socket set is chrome-plated so that excess moisture won’t cause rust or corrosion.
- Great Neck Saw protects these tools with a lifetime warranty.
- The ratchet is fully reversible.
- For the price, you get a very competitive socket set.
- The set includes both English and Metric sizes
- When it comes to build quality, the ratchet is a bit flimsy.
The socket set comes of 69 individual pieces, which include several ratcheting tools as well as several sockets that conform to both English and Metric sizings. One of the first things you might notice about this set is that each of the tools included has a black chrome finish. This not only looks great but also provides the right level of rust- and corrosion-resistance for these tools. In addition, the ratcheting tools also have Stanley’s proprietary max-drive design, which provides a higher level of torque.
Additionally, the case is very tough. It’s designed out of molded plastic have a bright gray coloration as very visible in most environments.
- This toolset looks very nice.
- The case is very durable.
- This is a 69-piece set, so it should have all the sockets you need.
- Some of these may require an extra spray of lube.
- Some of the sockets can use a little better etching.
The standoff features of this product from SK it’s its green toolbox, which is durable and is crafted of green molded plastic. Another exciting feature is the product’s SureGrip hex design; this design provides a more grippy surface that will ensure that you’ll need less strength to turn even the most hardened bolts. Externally, each of the components of the 49-piece socket set utilizes SK’s SuperKrome finish that’s a proprietary finish that utilizes a chrome coating, which makes these tools virtually impervious to corrosion and rust. Not only does his finish protect the tools from the elements and moisture, but it also adds a layer of protection that will ensure the many of the workplace hazards that you may encounter won’t damage this set.
- These are very durable tools.
- The Sure Grip technology also is designed to provide a high level of torque.
- This is a 49-piece set that will provide you just about everything you’ll need.
- It can be reasonably easy for the sockets to come out of the housing in the tool kit.
DeWalt is one of the top names in tools, and it’s no surprise that this is one of the most common brands seen on the work site. This socket set has 34 pieces that can serve a wide variety of needs. It also includes a reversible ratchet as well as extenders so it should never reach those hard-to-reach places. The case itself is branded with the DeWalt name and has a clear top so that she can easily see, which tools are in the set. Like the best sets on the market, this DeWalt socket set includes tools that are polished with a chrome vanadium finish, so you know that they’ll be resilient add moisture-resistant.
When it comes to everyday use, these use Direct Torque technology, so a lot of your wrenching actions are transferred to the socket, which means that even the most hardened torqued bolts can be removed with ease.
- The translucent lid on this set is handy.
- This is a reasonably complete set.
- The ratchet has a wide grip.
- Despite the fact this kit provides good options, it still only has 34 pieces.
With 57 pieces, it’d be hard to believe that this product from Apex to groups doesn’t have a socket for just about every need. The included ratchet also has a low profile design you make it easy to use in tight spaces. In addition to this, the set also comes with extenders, a larger reversible ratchet, and several hand-stamped sockets that can be used in various places. The sockets also have a lot of serration depth, which is as deep as the fastener, so it has a lot of utility for the job.
- The larger ratchet provides a good amount of leverage for those harder to torque bolts.
- Each of the sockets is hand-stamped so that you can quickly identify them.
- The set comes with two unique ratchets.
- Just about every socket you need for the job is included in this set.
- For whatever reason, Gearwrench didn’t provide a handle for this product.
When it comes to completeness, this socket set, which is manufactured by EPAuto, may have just about everything you need. This is because this is a 69 piece set that includes multiple ratchets, a few extenders, and sockets with both an English and a Metric design. Each of the tools in this status designed to be corrosion resistant thanks to chrome plating. This plating also looks very attractive and provides a mirror-like finish for each of the components.
The case is also very reliable. When closed, you can be sure that each of the sockets remains firmly seated, so you don’t end up with a rattling case. Also, this is a very complete set; EPAuto even included a non-magnetized spark plug socket.
- This is a very complete set with 69 pieces.
- The tools will remain seated, even when the case is jostled.
- The case is very well-made so that I can take a lot of worksite damage.
- Sometimes, some of the sockets won’t sit properly on the ratchet due to a manufacturing error.
With 45 pieces to work with, this set, which is manufactured by Tekton, is an excellent mid-size option for those that need reliable tools. The set comes with one ratchet, an extender, and a universal joint that can be used to reach bolts that are at an angle. All tools in the set are made of chrome vanadium steel, so not only will they resist rust and corrosion, but they will remain tough and nearly scratch-free even after years of use. This is also a six-point socket set that will provide you with the right level of torque when you’re working.
- The tools are very well made.
- The universal joint is very useful for automotive work.
- For a high level of grip, each socket uses a six-point system.
- The reversible ratchet can sometimes reverse when you’re not holding it correctly.
Sometimes, when you’re purchasing a socket set you don’t always need a large number of sockets. This set, which is manufactured by Craftsman, is specifically designed to provide you before spark plug-friendly sockets. As a result, this is an excellent go to set for anyone that’s going to be doing automotive work or anyone that’s going to need to do touch up work on devices like weed trimmers or even lawn mowers. Each of the sockets is labeled clearly so that you know which is compatible with the spark plug size. Also, like all Craftsman products, this is a set that has a lifetime guarantee.
- This set includes 5/8″, 13/16″, 3/4″ and 18mm sockets.
- This set is perfect for spark plug work.
- These are designed to be tough.
- The insert inside of the sockets, which is designed to grip the spark plugs, can sometimes come off too easily.
This is another set where less is more. This set, which is manufactured by Stanley, has a 30-piece capacity, but in most cases, you’ll have more than enough socket options. This that stands out thanks for the MicroTough ratchets; these ratchets are designed to have a minimal profile so that you can get them and two smaller spaces. Also, this is a six-point set; you’ll have no issues when it comes to getting a good grip on the bolts. This set provides SAE and metric sockets, so it ends up being a very versatile set as well.
- This set has more than enough sockets and ratchets.
- The ratchet has a tiny profile which can be very useful.
- The set is very inexpensive.
- The ball bearings, which holds the socket in place, can fail.